Monday, September 3, 2012

Family Recipes

This weekend I made a recipe that paid homage to my husband Hispanic background. And I called my mom for some of my grandmother's recipes I remember from when I was young. Nearly every Sunday we'd eat dinner at my grandparents and there would be a ton of
food.

I can still taste the Wilted Leaf Lettuce and Sour Cream Cucumbers. There was also what we call Grandma's jello, her ham with pineapple and cherries, and something with those little hotdogs and Catalina salad dressing.

My mother found the recipes and they were from Better Homes & Garden's New Cookbook. The one I have used to be my mothers and is a three-ringed binder with the red and white checkerboard cover, copyright 1976. We all know what happens to paper in three-ringed binders - they tear. So there are a lot of floating pages that are stuffed in the wrong recipe category, but I still love this cookbook.

 Flan is a wonderful Spanish, Mexican, Hispanic custard that is refreshing, creamy, and delicious.  Some people refer to it as Flan de Leche. Just as France has creme brulee, the Spanish have Flan. Sometimes I make a cream cheese flan that is awesome.  I'll let you know how they turned out.

1 comment:

  1. https://www.marthastewart.com/317461/cucumber-salad-with-sour-cream-and-dill?utm_campaign=marthastewartliving_marthastewart_trueanthem&utm_content=5d6d2ea5145a570001539358&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=bestofevergreen&fbclid=IwAR0J4omKqK4n4XPTihdmFpOWhSuApX9JVdz0qTgTnM4CS6VcXcnPM_XkBHU

    ReplyDelete