Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Winter Baking

Too ripe to eat!
I love to bake and it seems like it happens more in the winter than the summer.  Today is a cold, cold, cold day ( -30 wind chill) and schools are closed, so I'm home baking away.

When I saw these on my counter, I knew what I had to make!

So, I looked to Pinterest and found Martha Stewart's Hummingbird Cake. It called for 3 (yes it was fate!) ripe bananas.  Luckily I had coconut and walnuts, so I was ready to go.

Hummingbird Recipe (Adapted from Martha Stewart.com)

  • Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pans and racks (I do not do)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans (I do not do)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sugar (I use 1 3/4 cup)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 large)
  • 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut, unsweetened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in the center. I use a baking spray to coat 2 - 9 inch cake pans.  In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat oil, vanilla, and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each before adding the next. Beat at medium speed until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  In a medium bowl, mix together banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut. Add to egg mixture; stir until well combined. Add flour mixture; blend well.  Divide batter between pans. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.  Transfer pans to a greased wire rack. Let cool 15 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen. Invert onto racks; reinvert, top side up. Cool completely.

FROSTING
  • 1 pound (16 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
It is really important to have the butter and cream cheese at room temperature.  If not, you will have a clumpy frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add butter, beating until incorporated. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add sugar, beating until incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment