Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cooking 101

One thing I must say about cooking is that you need to have the right tools.  I've collected many gadgets in during my marriage, some I've used, others need a good dusting.  Some of my favorite utensils are wooden spoons and whisk.  I have spoon made of cherry wood, olive tree, bamboo.  I have whisk that are modern, need to be tossed, and one that my grandmother used and my daughter swears is unsanitary to use.  I just can't throw it away.
Grandma Garner's Whisk

 So, I should tell you now, I'm not a photographer.  I know it's obvious, but I wanted to add a disclaimer as there are sure to be horrible images to come.

So, on to more essentials in the kitchen.  I love my mixer.  It's a Kitchen Aid, cobalt blue, and lovingly taken care of.  I monitor the kid's use of it, nothing goes in the dishwasher--no siree, hand washing is the only way to go.

I also like stoneware for baking.  I make killer Panettone and I use stoneware bread pans.  I also have bundt cake and pizza pan stoneware that oddly is never used for pizza but for cookies.

I use glass dishes for lasagne, although there are a few pieces of cast iron constructed dishes.

Speaking of cast iron. Nothing, and I mean nothing cooks a steak better then cast iron.  Nicely seasoned, my cast iron pan is one of my go to pieces.  It has ridges so that my steaks aren't sitting in a pile of grease.
 
Notice the Color!  Will match my Kitchen Aid
I recently purchases a dutch oven that is large and has a great, thick bottom so things don't burn.  But this is the one I want next, just waiting for it to go on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment